Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A walk around Sutter Creek

Last Friday, Debbie and I joined the El Dorado Camera Club for a photographic walk around Sutter Creek, the self-proclaimed "Jewel of the Gold Country." From my vantage, the historic Gold Rush town has earned its motto well.

This was the first time I was able to join the club for one of its Shooter's Safari Adventures. Employment, family gatherings and work at the engine house have kept me from participating in the six months since I joined the club. This time I took the day off.

Spending a pleasant morning in company with eight to 10 photographers is a nice way to spend a spring Friday. Few tourists and the gentle morning light gave the photographers several distinct venues to capture.

The Shooter's Safari gave me a chance to watch other photographers at work -- many more experienced than I. I only asked one or two questions. Watching them at work -- from framing and composition to subject selection to lens and use of the tripod -- benefits me most.

Even though I usually don't like to copy other photographer's work, especially when you're standing next to his tripod. Photography is a very personal art. Beyond basic rules, the camera gives you the chance to interpret the scene.

You can view Sutter Creek images of these EDCC members:

Hick's photography (Sierra Springs Photography) is especially refreshing. When I view her work, I often find myself saying, "Why didn't I think of that composure?"

This morning she posted on her blog a nicely colored picture of the footpath that leads to a foot bridge over Sutter Creek. I guess I was too busy aiming my camera at old cast iron objects at the Knight Foundry. When I finally walked onto the bridge, all I saw was overgrown vegetation on the path.

Debbie and I plan to return to Sutter Creek as does Hick and her husband. These trips will help my photography and give Deb and I a chance to spend time together.

Honeycomb pipe and metal storage at Knight Foundry. The storage rack is located on the west end of the blacksmith building. It's a photographer's treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment