The fire started in the laundry, which was located next to the kitchen. A concrete fire wall saved the adjoining dining hall, said the Wayne Independent on-line story from nearby Homestead, Penn.
The "concrete fire wall put in place after a worse inferno 11 years ago, said Beach Lake Fire Chief Tony Franklin," continued the article. The 1997 blaze completely destroyed the kitchen and dining room, the chief reported to the newspaper.
Neither new story reported a cause to the fire, which completely destroyed the laundry and kitchen. The state fire marshell will investigate.
I suspect that the camp is thankful none of the 550 campers were near the kitchen during the fire, which started sometime after 5 a.m. The children would've been asleep in their cabins at the early hour.
The Wayne Independent continued:
No one was in the building at the time of the fire, the Chief related. The camp had a function there last night and everyone was out by 3:30 a.m. With 550 hungry campers, camp management was quick to order food from Sysco Corp., and campers were having breakfast on picnic tables. Camp Director Marc Honigfeld said on scene that everything was under control.