Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shelter Cove at Odell Lake

We spent the last couple days of our 2008 vacation at Oregon's Odell Lake, which is known for its abundant Kokanee fisheries. As we crossed the Cascades on State Route 58, I suggested to Debbie that we camp at the north end of the lake.

Even though she enjoyed the lake during our 2006 camping trip, the south end of the lake is know for its brisk wind and whitecaps on the lake. I suggested that we should try Shelter Cove, a private resort on the sheltered north end.

After five midnight marathons at my brother-in-law's house, our camp at Shelter Cove gave us a change to relax in front of the campfire and do nothing for three days. Shelter Cove's spaciously wooded RV campground gave us a chance to spread out and stretch our legs.

Sometimes camping is about doing a whole lot of doing nothing. It's a time to relax and enjoy the great American outdoors. You don't need grand list of accomplishments to enjoy a nice, lake-side campsite.

After pulling into camp Wednesday evening, I spent much of Thursday catching up on my notebook. Coffee in hand, I spent most of Thursday alternating between our camp and the community campfire, which burned most of the day.

Although I carry the notebook with me almost everywhere I go, I didn't take the time to write in it. I spent most of my time talking to family since we all live far apart. And when I wasn't talking, I processed photos on the laptop.

I'd select Shelter Cove if you have a choice between the two resorts at Odell Lake. Blessed by a gentler wind, Shelter Cove's spacious campground contains some 88 sites. Most have electricity and are spacious enough to park even the largest Class A motorhome.

We plan to return to Shelter Cove in the next two years. I like the idea of having a favorite place -- one that we can return to year-after-year.

No comments:

Post a Comment