Over my career I've learned that you don't want to dump three packages into a stockpot of boiling water. Half the broccoli will be overcooked. The other half will be underdone
In the fully equipped kitchen, the cook steams the broccoli inside a high-pressure steamer. Since I feed two-dozen residents out of a home-style kitchen, I had to re-think my broccoli cooking process.
As shown in the photograph, I set a steamer up on the range top, as follows:
- Place 4-inch hotel pan with 1-quart water over two burners
- Set 2-inch perforated hotel pan inside the 4-inch pan
- Place 3 (2-pound) packages of broccoli spears inside the pan
- Cover broccoli with lid or aluminum foil
- Turn both burners on high and steam broccoli for 5 to 10 minutes; reduce heat to medium once the water boils
- Gently separate broccoli spears with a pair of tongs
- Continue cooking until done
The 2-inch hotel pan next to the broccoli is baked macaroni and cheese.