Monday, June 20, 2011

Salads and blessings


Sent from my Samsung Captivate(tm) on AT&T

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.(Philipians 4:4-7).
I can say that my current job is the best I've ever had. My only regret is that it took almost 40 years to find it. I have to say it was worth the wait.

The residents reinforce this feeling each Monday morning. As I walk into the 111-year-old former boarding house just before 9 a.m., they greet me with "How was your weekend, chef?" and "We're grateful to see you."

This discussion by two residents reminded me of my blessings this morning:

"Is this hot?" asked the first resident as she looked at the black bean and tomato salad with zucchini.

"No. I didn't have any hot peppers this morning," I responded.

"Is it tangy or sweet?"

"Tangy."

"It sure looks good."

"That is so good. We are so blessed," added a second resident who had just returned for seconds.

After working inside prisons for 20 years, it's refreshing to work with women who appreciate the food. The residents continually thank me for the meals and tell me how much they appreciate my work.

Thank you, ladies. You make the two-hour commute worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment