Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dutch oven arroz con pollo

Late last week I roasted two chickens in the oven. After they cooled, the meat was picked and and divided between several zipper top bags. I then roasted the bones with mire poix. A pot of stock bubbled on the range all night as we prepared for a family trip.

I prepared a large pan of arroz con pollo for the residents at work Monday evening. As often happens, I came home and cooked the same dish in a deep skillet. It was the prefect way to some of the chicken and stock. Chicken stock from the roasted bones and the onions, carrots and celery gave the rice a nice rich flavor.

I last featured chicken and rice in January 2011. In the pictorial recipe, I used chicken thighs on a family camping trip to Kit Carson Campground in Humboldt-Toyable National Forest. I wrote: "The marriage of rice, tomato sauce and chicken thighs makes one of the best Dutch oven dishes that I can think of. Sprinkle a healthy dose of hot pepper sauce over the rice and you have created a dish that qualifies as pure comfort food."

In need of pictures, I though a second helping of my favorite rice dish was in order. To prepare the dish again doesn't bother me as I enjoy it at home and in camp. It's pure comfort food for my family. I can easily eat two helpings, then feast on leftovers for lunch the next day.

DUTCH OVEN ARROZ CON POLLO (SPANISH CHICKEN WITH RICE)

If desired, 1 cup canned diced tomatoes can be used in place of the tomato paste. Use tomatoes and their juices. Reduce stock to 2-1/2 cups and proceed with recipe.

2 tablespoons bacon fat or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chile pepper, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups long grain rice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups chicken stock
1 pound cooked diced chicken
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Heat fat in 10-inch Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute onion, chile pepper and garlic over until nearly tender. Add rice and paprika. Stir until the grains are coated with fat. Add tomato paste, stock and chicken. Bring to a boil. Season liquid with salt and pepper to taste.

Place lid on Dutch oven. Bake with coals for 350 degrees (about 6 under oven and 14 on lid) until rice cooked, about 20 to 30 min. Garnish with cilantro and serve. Serves 6 to 8.

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken thighs! The problem is nobody else wants them...I hate dark meat, it's too fatty, ewe, are the responses I get. But fired, sautéed, baked, grilled mmm...bone in or boneless with the skin left on at least till its done cooking!

    Sigh. Everybody wants boneless skinless breast white meat only! Not sure if I have had it in a Dutch oven over a fire yet. That's not my specialty and expertise like it is yours! Sounds delicious Steve!

    ReplyDelete