Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mandoline vs. mandolin

I just learned this afternoon that I've been misspelling mandoline at 'Round the Chuckbox. While you slice potatoes (and other produce) on a mandoline, Doc Mercer won't play one with his Cumberland Highlanders band.

Drop the "e" and you have Doc's favorite muscical instument, the mandolin.

Whishbone, a camp cook from the neighborhood of Wichita, Kansas, posted this request at Camp-Cook.com last Thursday:
Anyone ever use one & what type do You Like. I looking at Pampered Chef ones on eBay. Son & I need to cook up a bunch of potatoes (augratin style) for 28 Girl Scouts, Leaders & Parents the last Meal at Local summer Camp. Wishbone-Ks
Stick with a simple mandoline, one that cuts without all the "bells and whistles." I purchased a top-line model at a local restaurant supply several years ago (pictured below). It works well enough, but it's heavy, a bit clunky and the safety guard is doesn't flow smothly.

I wouldn't spend more than $40 or 50. I spent about $200 and now wish that I had purchased an economy model. They do the same thing for much less. I found an Oxo V-blade model on Amazon for $40 (pictured at left).

Either way, Wishbone, a mandoline is a worthy investment if you plan to do any camp cooking for large groups. A sharp one will quickly cut a load of potatoes for scallops or au gratin.

I used mine at camp yesterday to cut cucumbers for the cuke and onion salad for today. I had the job done in 10 minutes with nice, thin slices of cucumber.

I don't care how good you are with a knife, a mandoline just makes good sense for the camp kitchen.

I wrote a safety brief on the use of a mandoline in the kitchen last year. Mandoline safety is serious business in the kitchen. Properly used, they are a great time saver and help you produce professional looking products. In the wrong hands, you'll be spending a lot of time in the emergency ward.

Remember: Doc Mercer plays great Bluegrass tunes on his mandolin as I slice potatoes for scallops on my mandoline.

3 comments:

  1. hi,

    this is jenn from growlies site. you had responded to a post of mine that you'd help me with some camp cook stuff. i'd love to hear more. you can email me at reneau_je@yahoo.ca

    thanks so much!

    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the ship, the scrubs/newbies (which were pretty much everyone) were instructed to use the protective knife glove on the hand that was operating the mandoline.

    Or in our case, a Benriner. Much cheaper and known for being seriously sharp!

    Online they sell for $40, but at my local international/asian store it was $15! Easy and light to pack in chef bag, and check in baggage for flights. (not carry-on!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that OXO V-Blade and it's AWESOME. Highly recommend to anyone new to mandolines. Been going strong for 4 years.

    I especially like the crinkle-cut attachment. Makes chips, fries, and veggies fun. :)

    ReplyDelete