Sunday, July 23, 2006

Darle Coates' Modern-day Chuckwagon

How do you like this: I'm camping and connected to the Internet! We're at Harris Beach Campground, part of the Oregon State Parks system in Brookings Oregon.

Here's a picture and story from Daryle Coates from Texas:

The story on the trailer is interesting. I got the gig to feed the International Guests in the International Room at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo one meal. This consisted of BBQ goat, pinto beans, cole slaw, potato salad, cobbler and condiments. I did this 2 years in a row.

There were over 500 each year. I needed something to haul the necessities and a larger shade. I found this service bed that had been for sale a long time and purchased it. I did some welding on the frame to add a space for a chuck box and a cooler. Later I also added a water storage tank.

There had been an old barn on the place where I was raised. When I was young, my Father tore it down and moved the lumber to another ranch and built a small barn. Many years later, I tore down the barn and used some of the wood to build the chuck box. That barn wood is approaching 100 years old. I had a tarp company make me a 16x20 tarp and made the frame using preformed corners, etc.

I am not a carpenter and will never build another chuck box, but I am sure proud of the one I have. I will send you a better pic of it.

Stay cool on your vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment